Tuesday 11 March 2008

Weekend course ahead and the gift of on-demand TV

Bit of a gap since the last posting! I am not managing to make the number of entries here that I had expected to. I guess the practice of blogging has not become sufficiently embedded into my life - and of course I have kept the subject matter of my blog fairly narrowly confined to my Welsh learning - and sometimes wonder just how much there is to say - though my husband would say I can go on about it quite a bit. The main focus for me right now is that I have another weekend course coming up. The timing of this feels very good in that work is very busy and I have a difficult day ahead in my personal life so I think I am going to be really ready for this course by Friday. I have now suggested that I go into the level 5 class - one up from where I was last time. It would be good to think I was doing this with more grammar sorted and under my belt, but hey, I must be picking some up along the way and I will have a good go on the train. I do think my vocabulary is increasing though. One of the resources that has really helped is the Welsh channel (S4C) making many of its programmes available on the web - the equivalent of BBCi. So I am trying to replace some of the TV watching that I would do anyway with watching Welsh TV. I tend to move between pretty low demand soaps (there is one from near where I come from so the accent and dialect is right- but the vocabulary is not very stretching, nor the storylines.....) and news type programmes. It is really helpful being able to pause etc. I have watched a programme on bullying in the workplace 2-3 times now, and have written down a lot of the vocabulary.

There is also a new nature series by Iolo Williams - see
http://www.s4c.co.uk/c_watch_level2.shtml?title=Natur%20Cymru
I already have Iolo's book - mentioned in a previous post - and so am looking forward to watching this. So what I am finding is that I am using different resources at different times as and when they become available. I have moved from being a regular Welsh news listener to watching more Welsh TV. I have run out of books for the moment and will restock at the weekend. I am also trying to produce more Welsh, but of course don't have anyone to check it. Here is a recent poem. If you can read Welsh - feedback welcome, (there may be all kinds of mistakes) but be kind!(and I don't know how to do the accent we put on mor - must find out - till then it looks more French!)

Ger y mór, y mae y tywod
Yn disgleirio ar ol y cawod
Ar haul yn gweny ar u traeth -
ac ar fy hiraeth

No comments: