Thursday 13 March 2008

Talking Welsh in Wales



I'm really looking forward to getting the opportunity to talk Welsh over the weekend. The course, like the others I have been on is in Abergavenny, which of course is right on the edge of Wales and has spent part of its life in England. Apparently, around according nto the 2001 census just 10% of those living in the Abergavenny area are able to speak Welsh. This seems pretty low to me who comes from Caernarfon in North Wales where the percentage of Welsh speakers is is quoted as 90 or 80% (depending on the source) but is a substantial increase since the last Census back in 1991, when only 2% of local people spoke Welsh. However, even though there might not be a lot of Welsh spoken outside the course, there will be plenty of opportunity over the weekend - and I have to say I am getting quite excited about it now. It will also be good to have some of the responsibility for my learning handed over to a teacher, as it were.

No comments: