Wednesday 28 November 2007

Getting started

I have finally decided to have a go at blogging about my language learning. I am brushing up my Welsh which I first learn when I was 4 - so it is my second language but I have forgotten so much of it over the years having been away from Wales for 35 years or so. I think I have two challenges: the first is grammar: that I was never taught grammar (because I was treated as a 'native' speaker at school as apparently my Welsh was too good to be allowed in the learner classes when we did our compulsory Welsh O levels); and the second is BIG gaps in vocabulary. When I was in Wales there was no Welsh TV, or parliament and I never learnt the terminology commonly used in the news etc - but I can talk about farm animals quite happily! Despite not being in the learner class in school, my grammar was not very good and hence I never passed my Welsh language O level - so maybe a challenge for the future.
So I want to reflect on my (re-) learning, perhaps be in contact with other Welsh learners and re-learners - and take some tentative steps into blogging.......................

1 comment:

Gill said...

Welcome to the blogosphere :)

After yesterday when we couldn't use the name welshlearner as the url, I looked up www.welshlearner.blogspot.com. Surprisingly enough, that blog had only just been created on 20th November! She is a welsh learner just starting out and pipped you to the post on the blog URL name, but hey - you've posted twice so you're ahead for now. Enjoy